Welcome

My Photo
Hello - welcome to my blog about children's book illustration, poetry, animals and way too many other things. I’m an artist in Tasmania, Australia. I've just illustrated 'The Smallest Carbon Footprint in the Land' by Anne Morgan, and am now illustrating two picture books about traditional life in Sudan. If you'd like to see more, please use the links to my folio page and profile at The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, or email me at silvergumstudio@yahoo.com.au. Thank you!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pocket Pygmy Possum Poem

I wrote this poem after reading that a New South Wales firefighter found a pygmy possum in his pocket after a routine burn (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nswnationalparks/4010073301/).         
Shy - me?
Fought forest fire on Friday.
Took truck.  Forgot to lock it.
Draped jacket over dashboard.
Left fruity snack in pocket.

Wore jacket out to dinner.
Sat next to vase of blossom.
Sneezed, and reached for hanky
But pulled out pygmy possum!

Felt frankly rather foolish.
Not easy to ignore
Producing small arboreal
Nocturnal omnivore.

Companions all applauded.
Pretended that I knew.
Fed possum bits of blossom
While I ate Irish stew.

Getting on quite nicely.
Possum seems to dig me.
Wherever I go, she goes -
My pocket possum pygmy.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Awesome. The teacup critter is INSANE adorable. And I knew you had a gift for words but I am still dazzled by the lack of even one forced rhyme in your very hilarious poem. Particularly the "not easy to ignore" line. I think you must be feeling well to produce such fun! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, love the poem and sketch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is cute (and the cup looks like the one I always drink tea from).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem, cute illustration, I would like to find one in my pocket!

    ReplyDelete